From Franks desk:
After a great start to our 9 week programs, here we go with week 2. We have accepted a few more people in each program and I know we will have a few new instructors beginning this weekend.
Those that have groups should give some thought to a lesson plan with a few variations for the weekend, always good to have a few ideas as to what you would like to teach them.
I also want to remind all that Pinault is a park, so if you go down the hill-please be aware of the jumps and their landings, use caution and be sure you’re not placing your students in a bad spot.
Weekend morning sessions will begin this Jan 14, 7:30 am in the Pro Room, on snow for 8:00 AM, for both instructors and TAs. Monday evening sessions will also begin Jan 16 – be in the pro room by 630 to be on-snow for 7 PM.
Teaching Tasks for the weekend:
- Keep up the stance & balance drills
- Mileage is important
- Choose appropriate terrain to get results
- Pivoting is turning your feet without turning the body
- You will encourage movement to help this happen
Suggested Exercises (select according to class ability):
- Ski with a very narrow stance, then wide stance
- Ski without poles: Hands up high, then behind back, then crossed in front
- Stepping – 100 step turns, slow then fast – Stepping Turns
- Brush out uphill foot while traversing, then reverse direction and brush out the other foot
- Hockey stops in the fall line – Hockey Stops.
- stem turns
- on-snow 360s – On-snow 360s